Monday, February 28, 2011

George Haniford Trap and Skeet Range

Yesterday afternoon, we tried trap and skeet at the Purdue range. It was my first time handling a gun, not to mention a shotgun! Anyway, the person recommended that I used the smaller gun and I went with his recommendation. However, I still think that the gun is really heavy! =p Our guns side by side.

First, we had a go at trap, where you basically shoot at round orange clay targets that are released from a container some distance in front of you. The targets are released at random angles and will move up and then further away. Anyway, our friend demo to us the first round so we would have a feel how it was like. He had his own gun, ammo and ear muffs.

The clay targets are voice activated so after you have loaded your gun and is in position, you just say/shout something and a clay target will be released. Cool right? OK, so YH went first while I can have another look. Actually, we could shoot together as there are 5 stations but I preferred him to be near me while I tried as I was a little nervous! =p So he went first and I took some photos of him shooting.
 
There is a video too. =p

Then, it was my turn. I was really nervous, have to load the gun, then press something, and get into position. Worried I will forget something. Hehe! And gun is heavy, so arms will ache if I hold it up too long. Very excited when I fired my first shot!! =) Shoulder hurt a little from the recoil but I think my jacket helped cushioned it a little. =p Not easy to aim as we were actually shooting pellets so I just try to shoot in the direction which I think the clay target is. Haha! Of my 25 rounds, I only managed to shoot a target. Was extremely excited when I finally got it but sadly failed to do it again. Some photos of me shooting.
 
A video too.

Us with our shotguns!
 

YH decided to have a go at skeet too, which is a little different from trap. You shoot 25 rounds at various positions on a semi-circle. The clay targets are released from 2 containers on the left and right and move in a horizontal direction. There are high and low targets. I think that this is much more difficult than trap, and thus decided to give it a pass so that I do not waste money. =p To shoot 1 round, we had to pay USD 6 for the targets and USD 6 for the ammo each. You will save on ammo charges if you bring your own. =p

It was definitely a fun experience for us as it was our 1st experience with trap and skeet shooting. Not to mention it was my first time firing a gun! Arms and shoulders did ache later and had a bruise at the shoulder too, but all that was expected and I really think my jacket helped cushioned some of the impact from the recoil. =)

0 comments:

Post a Comment