Sunday, April 18, 2010

Purdue Spring Fest 2010

We went to the Purdue Spring Fest yesterday. It was our 1st visit to the Spring Fest as we missed it last year. First we went to take a look at the Barnyard

In it you could try milking a cow for $1.

There were chicks which you could hold. I held one in my hands and it was very soft! But the chick keep trying to escape from me. =p

There were sheep and pigs... The baby pigs looked really cute and I realised that their ears were of an interesting shape...

Beef Cow and Milk Cow..


A calf...


We also went for some honey tasting... In the same room were a case of bees too which I did not go near to see but YH did... Scary...


Pony carousel, very interesting...


The tents and people walking around...


There was goldfish racing...

I gave it a shot but lost. I had a lazy goldfish. =( The other goldfish raced quickly ahead once the barrier was removed. As for my goldfish, I had to constantly probe it with the stick. =p


There were bunnies which you could pet...


We also watch a sheep shearing demonstration. We also had the opportunity to touch the removed wool and pat the sheep after its wool had been removed. The wool was rough to touch as this is not a wool sheep... Wonder if the sheep felt shy after its wool has been removed as it seemed to be "naked" after that... =p



Some tractors on display...


Mini decorated area...


Very big "P".


Plant sale by the Purdue Horticulture Club...



Outside the School of Veterinary Medicine...

Us participating in the sculptures... =p


You can try climbing trees too...


You can also have a go at fencing, where the winner is the one who managed to burst the opponent's 2 balloons first...


You can have a robotic beetle battle too!


These are chocolate covered crickets which you can buy to eat... Yucks!!! Real gross!!

YH tried it and I refused to go near him... Yikes!!!


This was a rocket shooting demonstration. The rocket did go up quite high in the sky...


We also watched a little of the Cricket Spitting Competition. Wonder why would people want to do such a thing... Basically you put a cricket in your mouth and try to spit it out as far as possible...

Contestants spitting out the crickets... There were different categories and we saw the adult women and men...
\
Someone will then measure the distance the cricket was spitted out...

These were the records for the different categories...


This tent was giving out balloons that where twisted to form a hat. I was tempted to get one but didn't as the lines were really long and those in it were all kids.. =p


I had a normal helium balloon instead but it was too much a hassle carrying it so I set it free after a while... =p


Electric cars on display...




Some demonstration whereby you use a pump to create air pressure to fire a rocket...


We also watched to Bug Bowl Follies, which is a bug inspired talent show. Sadly only three teams were there as some pulled out of the show. However, the judges and the host made the show rather entertaining...


There was this bug inspired cake decorating contest and these were some of the winning and notable entries...


Little Bee walking around... Earlier on we saw a larger bee too...


YH holding some large shellfish... It was really huge!!


We also watched the roach races but no photos to show here though YH did take photos. I cannot bear to even look at the photos so obviously I would not be posting them. I don't even dare to really look at the roaches as they were really huge!! As big as YH's finger.. I was really scared to be in the same room as them and would not have wanted to be there at all but YH wanted to view the race as it was something different. While there we learned that the Purdue Spring Fest started because from the Roach Race, and it slowly grew to be a campus wide event, a very interesting fact...

0 comments:

Post a Comment